Orals Questions Cardiff 15th March 2018
Examiner – Mr Bannerji Result – Fail
General Engineering Questions
- Draw a 4-stroke Timing – Diagram with Angles
- Draw a Draw Card an Explain – Wanted an explanation, P-Comp, P-Max, Ignition Delay
- What can affect Ignition Delay?
- How would you check ignition timing on a 4 – Stroke?
- What are the different types of Turbo charging?
- What are the Advantages and Disadvantages of both?
- At what RPM are Slow, Medium and High Speed Engines?
- What is a Positive and Negative Cam?
- How is Cylinder Lubrication Pressure Maintained? – (Accumulator)
- What is the purpose of the ISM Code? – (Safety of People / Environment)
- What Certificates are carried aboard a vessel?
- What is the Boiler Purging Sequence?
- What is the Maximum level of Chlorides in Boiler Water?
- How do we carry out the Chloride Test? -(Same sample as P-Alkalinity)
- What is the OG Ring?
- What is Single-Phasing?
- What causes Single-Phasing?
- What protects against Single-Phasing?
- What is the difference between a Thermistor and Thyristor?
- What is Forward Bias and Reverse Bias?
- What Safeties are fitted to an Air Compressor
- What is the Fusible Plug made from?
- At what temperature does the Fusible Plug melt?
- At what speed does the Purifier Bowl Spin?
- At what Speed does the Purifier Motor run?
- How is speed of the Motor increased to spin the bowl at 7000RPM?
- How is the Gravity Disc on an Alfa Laval Purifier chosen?
- How does a Centrifugal Oily Water Separator work?
Electronic Engines (RT Flex)
- Explain how a Common-Rail Diesel works?
- If one pump fails, how is it taken out of action?
- What is a Limber hole?
- What is a Cross Deck?
- What is a Transom Space?
- How often must the Enclosed Space Entry and Rescue Drill be carried out?