Southampton Oral for 2nd Engineer 21/03/2017
Examiner: Mr Simon Graves
- What are the roles and responsibilities of a 2nd Engineer (Mentioned the typical things as well as the need to be ready for internal and external audits, this then prompted the next question)
- What type of things are Port State control going to be looking at on board your vessel?
- Can they (PSC) detain a ship? (Vessel is safe, doesn’t pose a pollution risk)
- Where can I find maintenance in ISM? (Chapter 10)
- Tell me about the different types of maintenance (Planned, Condition Based, Risk Based)
- Condition Based Maintenance — LO Analysis — Tell me about this. (Representative Sampling, and what tests are conducted on board & What things shore side are testing for)
- Your LO report comes back showing elevated iron content. Where could this iron contact be from? (Chain Case)
- What is the con rod made of? What are the guide shoes made of?
- What is fretting?
- Indications of fretting from the bedplate and engine foundation plate.
- Draw a LO system.
- How does an auto back flush filter work?
- Where is the waste oil from the auto back flush filter sent to?
- How is the temperature controlled? (PID)
- How does the PID controller work?
- How is vessel stability achieved?
- If the vessel heels, what happens to G, M & B? (He drew a picture of an upright vessel and a vessel heeling, I had to draw G, M & B.)
- How does the ship float?
- As 2nd engineer why do you need to be aware of the free surface effect? (When bunkering input into ship stability program)
- What types of trips are there on a switchboard?
- What problems .can equipment have if running at an under frequency?
- How is electricity made?
- How does generator excitation work for a brush less system?
- What influences the severity of a short circuit?
- If you’ve got a phase to earth can someone get an electric shock off the motor?
- You’ve done your PTW and full enclosed space entry procedure, you’re now ready for the Chief Off to test the tank contents. What results are you looking for and what should you be aware of when doing the testing?